Pages

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Moving to Croatia

Yes, you read the title correctly.  I am moving to Croatia.  Temporarily, of course.  On January 26th, I will leave to spend 4 months in the lovely town of Bjelovar where I will be teaching English classes at the Gloria Foreign Language Center. If you follow my blog, you know I spent some time there earlier this year while I was researching the Croatian culture.  I fell in love with Croatia and especially the Croatian people.  I feel very fortunate to have this opportunity so I may continue more in-depth research for the book I am writing.


 
 
I know some of you are wondering how I could leave my family, especially my kids, for such a long period.  Trust me, it was not a decision I made lightly.  But modern technology will allow me to stay in contact with them in a way I couldn't have imagined when I lived in Hungary 22 years ago.  With the support of my family and friends I am confident that this is the right decision.  I also will leave knowing that my kids are in the most capable hands of the world's best Dad!
 
Of course, I will document every step of the way on this blog. I hope you will enjoy discovering the amazing world of Croatia with me.  While it is famous for its coastline, beautiful islands and crystal clear sea, it's a lot more than that.  The country has very diverse landscapes from snow capped mountains to picturesque lakes and amazing waterfalls.  Medieval coastal towns, castles, forts and palaces are just waiting to be explored. It is also very rich in history and cultural heritage.  While the Republic of Croatia has only been a country for 22 years, the Croatian people have been inhabiting the area for 14 centuries!!
 
In the next 24 days I will work like a mad woman trying to get everything in order.  There are work permits to apply for, tax returns to prepare, photography classes to take. But my biggest dilemma is how to get my camera gear and four months worth of stuff in one check-in bag and one carry-on.  One winter coat and a pair of snow boots takes up a whole suitcase!! I looked into having things shipped but international freight is a fortune.  An 18" square box that weighs 10 lbs. costs between $450-1200 to ship.   I am seriously considering to only bring the absolute necessities and buy the rest when I get there.  But there are other things to consider.  For example, can I get my prescriptions filled there easily or do I need to bring 4 months worth of meds?  Do they accept my health insurance there? Then there are very important issues like can I get my brand of shampoo and conditioner there. Just kidding.  Well... not really! 
 
What I learned during my time in Hungary is we as humans are VERY adaptable.  The above mentioned details will work themselves out.  Besides, to compile authentic experiences for my book  I need to live as a Croatian not as a spoiled American tourist!!
 
So, I will keep the blog updated on my journey.  I think it will be an exciting one! If you are new to the blog you might want to start at the beginning with the "April posts" so you can get some background on what I am doing.  I also have set up a Facebook page with blog posts for those who would rather follow that way.  https://www.facebook.com/Lifedigs  If you are a teacher and are interested in organizing pen pals with Croatian students or a language/cultural exchange through Skype let me know!  I would be happy to arrange it!
 
 
 
Here is to an awesome 2014!
Chris Ziober
 

No comments:

Post a Comment