Pages

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Souvenirs

When I lived in Hungary I collected hand painted eggs (the egg was drained through a tiny hole) painted in the traditional folk colors. It was one of my favorite souvenirs and we used them to decorate our Christmas tree. One year, when my son was a toddler, I found him hiding under a desk. When I bent down to look, I found a pile of tiny broken egg shells. I asked him what happened and he simply shrugged his shoulders and said, "No chickens." These delicate beauties survived a trip across the Atlantic but couldn't survive the inquisitive mind of a toddler. 

Croatia also has traditionally hand painted eggs. This is the first of my new collection...and made of wood! (The pretty blue backdrop is the my view of the Adriatic from my Dubrovnik apartment.)


No comments:

Post a Comment