Pages

Monday, July 1, 2013

Croatia Joins the EU

Croatia joined the European Union as its 28th member today.  An historic and exciting day, for sure.  One of the great objectives of the EU is to provide peace and stability to a continent that has had, shall we say, some difficulty in that department.  Economic development and better opportunity in world trade are also some of the other important goals of the EU.  The whole is greater than the sum of its parts, so to speak. 

I'm not enough of an economist, world historian, or fortune teller to say if joining the EU will solve the problems of Europe. But I do believe that moving forward and always looking for ways to improve are important objectives for anyone. 

I know many of the Croats I spoke with during my trip were apprehensive about the accession.   But I am very hopeful that this is a positive move and Croatia will continue to grow stronger.  I look forward to following this great country's new journey.

My Croatian friend from Bjelovar posted on her blog about it.  I'm attaching the link because I think it is important to get some local perspective.

http://ireality2.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-next-day.html


No comments:

Post a Comment